What is a trademark?
A trademark is a distinctive sign used by individuals or businesses to identify products or services that are produced or provided by a specific individual or business. A trademark protects its owner by ensuring the exclusive rights to the product or service. A trademark can be used or transferred or sold or licensed.
What kinds of trademarks can be registered?
- One or a combination of words, letters and numerals (Word trademarks – standard or stylized)
- Drawings (device marks), symbols (device marks), three-dimensional signs (device marks), audible signs (sound marks), fragrances (scent marks) or colors (color marks)
- Owned by association for its members to use them for identifying themselves with a level of quality or other requirements as set by the association (collective marks)
- Marks that may be granted to anyone who can certify that the products or services meet certain established standards (certification marks)
What do we do?
We have a team of experienced Lawyers / Attorneys who have trademarked hundreds of products or services. Our trademarking service includes;
- Conducting searches
- Filing and prosecuting of new trademark applications
- Filing and defending trademark oppositions
- Filing and defending trademark cancellation actions
- Filing and payment of maintenance fees, declarations of use
- Attending to recording of Assignment, Merger, Change of Name or Address
- Attending to licensing issues and recording
- Undertaking and payment of renewals for trademarks
- Providing consultation on trademark issues
- Providing consultation on distributor agreements touching on IP issues
- Watching the trademark gazettes for infringing marks
- Conducting market surveys for counterfeit acts and/or market information
- Providing and taking of legal actions against infringers