Performance Review System
Review of employees’ performance is done to evaluate general performance and also measure the progress towards the specific goals of the organization. Under a well-designed system, the reviews offer an opportunity for the concern to acknowledge the work of the staff, identify the areas which are in need of improvement, plan professional development and training that will support the career growth of the team members.
Throughout the year, the reporting managers evaluate the performance, by providing a favourable acknowledgement and required coaching. Consequently, they address the problematic areas. HR experts say that the formal performance review should contain few surprises. The annual review should not contain usual methodology.
Tips for reviewing the performance:
These are few simple steps that are suggested to be followed by the evaluating managers:
a) Open communication should be encouraged for an effective performance review system.
b) Schedule the review meeting in advance and communicate the same.
c) Meeting place should be calm, noise-free and no-disturbance zone.
d) Evaluating manager should spare adequate amount of time for the discussion and should not run the meeting in hurry-burry.
e) Prepare ahead for the review meeting. Last minute rushing will spoil the situation.
f) Note down the team member’s goals and record significant points to be discussed.
g) Inform the team member to come prepared to review his assessment of key accomplishments and also, the need for support or improvement.
Guidelines to be followed:
Once the context for a successful discussion, following guidelines can be followed to ensure an effective and efficient review.
– To begin with, the manager should evaluate the primary roles and responsibilities.
– Check to what extent these responsibilities were discharged.
– Evaluate areas where the performance has fallen short of expectations
– Quote examples, wherever possible.
– Note down the competencies and areas that need improvement.
– Review each task that were assigned during the evaluation period.
– Check to what degree the expected results were achieved.
– Find out the factor which contributed to the ability of the team member to achieve the goals and produce desired results.
– Also, check whether there are any hindrances for the staff in performing the assigned tasks.
– Work out the steps to be taken to remove the barriers.
– The meeting should be conducted with open mind, and prepared to adjust or revise the situation based on the discussion.
– Discuss with the employee about his view point, be it agreement or disagreement, and note the same.
– Use the points noted as guidelines for the discussion.
– Keep the feedback about the development areas. Use facts which would support the feedback.
– Focus on the professional development of the areas noted. It’s an excellent opportunity to discuss the team member’s growth and on his development.
– Discuss the tasks that are going to be assigned for the next performance period and the methodology for discharging the same.
– Summarise the review and note down the new goals for the next evaluation period based on the current discussion.
– Though there are many templates for the performance review system, organizations can adopt the format as custom-made which would suit their requirement.
In all, the performances of the team members are reviewed in order to:
– find out the pluses and minuses of staff
– recognize their achievements
– notify the issues faced by them in the organization
– focus on the areas that need development
– finding out the solutions
– implement and execute the same for future benefit.