Many entrepreneurs / accountants find it difficult to remit the tax deducted at source to the credit of the Government’s Bank account. Here is a simple & step-by-step explanation about how to remit the taxes online.
Please remember that even a minor mistake would involve unnecessary complications in sorting out. If the taxes are inadvertently remitted, the only choice it to seek for the refund from the department after the end of financial year and it would take 6 months to 2 years (normally) to receive the same from the Income Tax Department. Hence, adequate care is needed while remitting the taxes.
Step-by-step procedure to remit taxes online:
02.Select Challan No./ITNS 281
03.Fill the following details in the challan
a. Select (0020) Company Deductees / 0021 for Non Company Deductees (as applicable)
b. Fill Tax Deduction Account No and select Assessment Year (e.g. for Financial year 2010-11, the Assessment year is 2011-12)
c. Fill Company Name in Full Name box
d. Fill the office address
e. Select “Type of payment” as applicable – (200) TDS/TCS Payable by Taxpayer (or) (400) TDS/TCS Regular Assessment (Raised by I.T. Dept)
f. Select “Nature of payment” as applicable such as 94C for payments to Contractors and sub-contractors (or) 94J Fees for Professional or Technical Services
g. Select Bank Name
h. Type the characters you see in the picture box. The characters are case sensitive.
i. Then Click Proceed.
04. You will see a preview of the data that you keyed in. Pls check the data once again and click “SUBMIT TO THE BANK” BUTTON
05. It will redirect to your bank login page. Use the User ID and Password to login.
06. Enter the amount in Basic Tax
07. Then, Click the confirm button, it will ask for Transaction password
08. Enter the transaction password then click proceed
09. It will display the acknowledgement of the payment
10. Save the acknowledgement for your records